1/1/11

How Does January First Make You Feel?


I woke up this morning to sun and no hangover. I don’t drink, smoke, do drugs etc. I certainly have in the past but I think as I get older, I find myself increasingly intolerant of it all. I don’t even mean from a moral standpoint, (after all I believe in everyone being allowed to make their own choices) but I mean whatever is happening on my insides is flat out rejecting the extra substances.

I do however feel both put off and energetic about having to start one of my computers over from zero. I spent the last day of 2010 at Fry’s getting a new hard drive, followed by installing every driver on the internet and making sure I was equipped with all of my installation disks. It’s unbelievable how an entire day can be absorbed like that.

When these things sneak up and smoke us from the left, you sort of have to make room in the day for them. With several approaching deadlines, I couldn’t imagine giving one whole day to anything outside of what I already have planned. I chose to not be with family for Christmas because of deadlines and I opted out of any New Year’s festivities in favor of catching up.

So yes, I am put off by the added expense and time absorbed but I gotta tell you; this forced do-over feels lovely! I have never seen my desktop have so few icons on it, it runs like a sports car and I have a clean palette. For these reasons, January first feels very fresh. I also like that the neighborhood and phones are very quiet. It’s awesome to feel productive. I am energized with the day.

Overall, I am not one to attach to much significance onto any date on a calendar. For most people, resolutions don’t stick very well. The problem with quitting things on January first is that it’s the day forcing it, not a person’s will. I guess some people need the day to get them going with a new attitude and for that reason, I say if you want to quit a bad habit or implement a new one, why not use whatever you have in the arsenal to help. January first is a good day to start fresh because everything is closed and things are generally quieter, so it’s as good of a day as any to begin new.

I would much rather see someone quit a bad habit for the right reasons. I quit smoking many, many years ago because I lived with a couple people who smoked and the house was just gross with it. What really bothered me though is that I felt like I wasn’t getting enough air to sing properly and therefore it was affecting my ambitions in life. It was more important to recognize the things which were inhibiting me from doing what I love to do and one by I would ditch them. I found that I had to concentrate on the hurdles in order to run a slick race.

Alcohol and drugs were easier to ditch because I hated having the next day ruined. The odd head spin going to bed was a good deterrent too.

I guess I have been looking at life and really finding the things which are worthwhile. I went for a walk to the store last night while some files were updating and I was thinking about how the chillier weather was coming on pretty strong now. I used to wear mini shirts and heels in the winter and I thought, geeze, I could have been spending my time better than trying to get the attention of people. I don’t have real regrets, but I sure am defending my new moments and how I spend them. I feel the best way now to make a difference in the world is to start by making a difference in myself. It’s easy to get caught up in world news and gossip but if everyone started to work on themselves, improving their communication skills, growing in love and compassion and better themselves in some new work field, society could fix a lot of it’s problems without anyone really putting too much effort in. The argument is usually, ‘Good luck fixing anyone’ but why are we even looking at people around us?

I don’t have a New Year’s Resolution, but I am absolutely going to take advantage of the brightness of January First and channel the fresh energy into getting organized and moving ahead.

Cataloging the old, in with the new…

Karen :)

Your success and happiness lies in you. Resolve to keep happy, and your joy and you shall form an invincible host against difficulties.” ~Helen Keller

No comments:

Post a Comment