10/3/09

Confucius Say...

Tonight I was reading some Confucius quotes. Here are some that spurred some extra thought;

"A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions."

I really agree with him, but only understood what he meant by that in very recent years. I was used to being around bullies and people who spoke loudly and talked too much. I think the ‘actions speak louder than words’ quote came from that. I have met a few very specific people who epitomize this.

"And remember, no matter where you go, there you are."

This lesson I learned when I left everything and moved 3000 miles away. I purposely took very little with me thinking I could leave everything behind that I hated. It turned out some of the things I hated were inside me. It’s been better since focusing on those things instead of the exterior problems that were plaguing me.

"By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest."

I’ve always found experience to be bitter, but for some reason it works better like Buckley’s Cough Syrup.

"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life."

I worked so many jobs I hated at the same time in order to be able to finally do something I love. My days are longer than they have ever been and yet, I don’t feel like it’s work anymore. I mean, I work yes…but I like what I do.

"You cannot open a book without learning something."

I have been taking on a new attitude with reading. We are bombarded with news columns, magazines, emails, the internet. I don’t believe everything I read, but I always learn something….even if it’s learning what NOT to do and who Not to believe. ;) Or I see some cool word like you’d hear off the TV show House and think, hmmm what does that mean? The important lesson I am realizing with reading is to be open to learning, much like when someone is speaking…to be open to what they have to say.

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it."

I look for it mostly because he said so. HA! I suppose death can even be beautiful. I remember when Mom was dying, she saw snapdragons. Her dying was the most disturbing yet peaceful transition. I don’t see beauty in everything yet, but I am working towards it. Maybe he needs to clarify. Objects? Situations? People? The Earth? I could think on this topic for a long time.

"I want you to be everything that's you, deep at the center of your being."

This quote could make me cry if I stare at it long enough. I grew up in relationships and careers that wanted me to be something I wasn’t. The happiest I have ever been was when I made a very concerted effort to be me. I am still getting to know me…even still.

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."

I used to equate being successful with going really fast. But I am learning to love the moments along the way…You know, life’s a journey, not the destination? But guess what, sometimes I stop…and that’s ok too…my heart is still beating.

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

I think the fear of falling down (notice he didn’t say failure) causes many people to not try the things we’d like to. Basically, I am learning to just laugh when I fall and try to find the lesson in it.

"We should feel sorrow, but not sink under its oppression."

Ah yes, oppression leading straight to depression. Would you believe I now find some enjoyment in sad moments? I think we all do to some extent, otherwise, why put on a sad song or read a sad story? Why rent a sad movie? I think it’s healthy to embrace those emotions if you are simply experiencing them. Where I see the problem is when you are overcome by them and it inhibits you from functioning.

"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated."

I do agree, although what I have learned is the difference between something being complicated and something being complex. The Earth is a complex place, but I am humbled by it and it causes me to trust that it will still work in the way it’s supposed to if I don’t harm it or interfere (which can complicate matters). I feel a sense of freedom knowing I don’t have to fix everything.

Have a wonderful weekend!
Karen :)

If Confucius were alive today, he may say to me; "Quote here; unnecessary." ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment