10/26/09

The Responsibility of Being Happy

When I was going through my Depression, I had two specific people in my life that clinically helped me through much of it. One was my family doctor who I have known since I was 13 and the other was my Pastor who I had also been through a lot with.

Both of these men were in a unique position to be able to be a Doctor or Pastor. I think it takes someone very gifted to be in either of those roles because they really get dumped on too often!

Having known my Doctor for so long, I was really amazed he could come into our small town and take on so many clients. He was jovial, calm, smart and compassionate. I remember asking him how he could handle such a big responsibility and I shared how much I hated being dumped on when I was already so fragile. He was humble in responding and said it was his job, that he enjoyed it and that certain people could handle that and in fact it was their responsibility to help others. He also told me that the smartest thing I could be doing was concentrating on getting better first before throwing out a life ring so I wouldn’t drown in the undertow.

Well, fast forward to today. I saw a Beethoven quote. I am unsure of his exact context but he said,

"Off with you! You're a happy fellow, for you'll give happiness and joy to many other people. There is nothing better or greater than that!"

It made me think how many genuinely sad people are out there who need to have joy spread to them, but I think about how many happy people I know too. There aren’t as many perhaps (or maybe they are sitting quietly on a back porch somewhere and we don’t hear from them) but it reminded me how important it is to send thoughtful emails and pictures, to write letters for no reason but to say you are thinking of someone, to help someone at the store and to spend time with those who need it. While I think it’s smart to guard your happiness and take care of yourself so you aren’t pulled under by someone drowning, I do believe there are a small handful of people on the earth who have the greater capacity to stand a little taller with the strength to pull someone from the quicksand of everyday. You may not even know you are this person with this kind of responsibility, but the world needs you. Maybe some random act of kindness from someone who is depressed is good for their spirit too, but we all need it!

Not everyone is cut out to be a family Doctor or Pastor, Therapist or Counselor, but there are those who can legitimately and positively change lives. It’s not merely the right thing to do, but I feel deeply it’s the responsible thing to do. I am sure we all have a laundry list of people who have pulled us out and where would we be without them?

If you are one of those very few who has a good grip on their happiness, I encourage you to do what Beethoven said. We need you! :)

Or, your happiness may already come from helping others. ;)

Much love on ya!Karen :)

He also said,

"This is the mark of a really admirable man: steadfastness in the face of trouble." Ludwig van Beethoven

No comments:

Post a Comment