8/21/10

Is Frustration Overwhelming You?

“You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination.”~Ralph Marston

“You’ve done it before and you can do it now.”
“You’ve done it before and you can do it now.”
“You’ve done it before and you can do it now.”
“You’ve done it before and you can do it now.”

Man, hasn’t that phrase passed through my skull on countless occasions. It started with ‘The Little Engine That Could’ book as a child and the phrase “I think I can” transforming into “I know I can”. It went away for a while but then childhood hurdles became adult issues.

“You’ve done it before and you can do it now.” It’s a phrase that at least brings logic to the spinning thoughts. It’s saying, “This is not a big deal because you know how to do this.” We often need the reminder.

I have since learned where the root of my frustration in life has been living. The problem with aging is you become more tired and less interested in overcoming anything because a nap seems more appealing.

My frustration almost always comes from the ‘skipping record’.

Ever told someone the same thing 1000 times and you are seriously in shock they don’t get it? Ever put out 400 resumes and had no responses? What about cold-calling 100 companies and getting hung up on every time? Have you had computer problems where you have rebooted your system 50 times and it never fixes it?

Some of these frustrations we have are due to requiring the outcome to keep a roof over our heads. It’s crucial we get the results! The pressure of feeding children or paying bills is adequate reason to be frustrated. I think in this case we should be giving ourselves permission to be frustrated so long as like a good cry, we can muster up the energy after to move ahead. Frustration, like a good cry should be like eating junk food…it’s like a treat. LOL… allow it to come out in its full honesty, grab the whole box of Kleenex, yell into your pillow but then after resolve to move ahead. I have had such brutal kick and scream crying sessions in my life that I feel asleep where I took the bender and crashed. I started to realize that frustration was such an energy stealer because why else would I crash like that? I have had days of digging gardens or other manual labor that hasn’t made me as tired as frustration. I found out that I am mostly frustrated though if I am already tired to begin with. So, I started to choose a nap if I felt frustration coming on. A shower after the nap and a blueberry tea usually sets me on the right path. ;)

All that being said, the glorious recognition of taking a nap over becoming frustrated is you have learned to mellow out! Not all frustrating things are worth being frustrated over. They don’t necessarily matter.

The things that ARE worth it, really are begging for our sharpest attention and they are usually problems that can’t be resolved unless we are absolutely on point!
I hope that if you are going through some frustrating times, you can start with taking care of you so your body and mind are working at the proper capacity to overcome these hurdles.

We are granted new beginnings every moment of our life starting with the one right in front of us. If you need to rest for 20 minutes, take it! If you aren’t drinking enough water, go pour yourself a glass! If you need a 15 minute shower, have one! …whatever you need to do to get the cobwebs clear. Give that to yourself and be good to you!
Then with a settled mind, I encourage you to write down the things you need to tackle and start crossing them off the list.

In my opinion, frustration needs to be checked off first.

Much love on you!
Karen :)

“Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer's day, listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is by no means a waste of time.” ~John Lubbock


1 comment:

  1. ButterflyCollector13August 26, 2010 at 10:45 AM

    wow...did u just peak in on my life to see what you could write that might express just what is going on with me, lol?

    And I have also had many of an emotional outburst where I slept like a lil angel afterwards (and woke up with puffy eyes from having cried so hard, lol). When it's a serious situation - that seems to be the best remedy. Cry it out. Then sleep it off. Then attack attack! hehe just follow the mantra. excellent blog as usual Karen.

    ReplyDelete