1/29/10

Setting our Angels Free

It’s not that I don’t love new films, new books, new art, new quotes but I adore the 1800’s (hence the stove top hat and Oliver Twist look) Art and music from that time period is so timeless to me. Many things from over 100 years ago still hold true with a firm foundation and I really dig that. Of course then there are words from thousands of years ago that are still relevant today. That is pretty incredible when an old Sage, Prophet, Philosopher or Scientist makes some remark that remains true. It feels sturdy and you can’t poke as many holes in it.

Tonight I found myself somewhere in the 1500s reading about Michelangelo perhaps best known for the Statue of David and his paintings inside the Sistine Chapel. It’s obvious the guy was talented; I mean you look at what he did and think people today must be lazy! (another blog) But what really strikes me is what makes him tick to begin with. These are a few quotes of his that really resonated with me;

"If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn’t seem so wonderful at all."

"There is no greater harm than that of time wasted."

"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark."

These quotes showed a creative, hard-working spirit. We envy his talent, and all he achieved but why don’t we ever envy the work? (silly question)

But aside from his focus and diligence, I love the magic of his words in these quotes;

"Every block of stone has a statue inside it and it is the task of the sculptor to discover it."

"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free."

"I am still learning."

They are magical to me because they possess a child-like quality, a return to innocence.

But he also said;

"Genius is eternal patience."

"Faith in oneself is the best and safest course."

In my life at one time or another, I have tried to individually focus on these areas; working hard, trying to learn patience (uh, yeah…hard one) keeping faith in my ability to accomplish something and the biggest one of all, attempting to recapture the uncomplicated magic that was probably the happiest time of my life.

In reading about Michelangelo tonight, it would seem his true art lied in how to make these all work together…and I am very inspired. Zooming out from all that he had in his art case, this was clearly a man set on fire by a bigger purpose and reason in his life more so than simply setting goals. How cool is that?

Someday, I will go see the fruits of his labor at the Chapel. :)

Much love on ya,
Karen :)

(I'm completely over quota on my quotes on this one, no need for anymore) ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment