3/16/10

A Delicate Illumination

This is a gorgeous quote I saw ages ago;

"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within."
~Elizabeth Kubler Ross

…but only understood it quite recently. In fact, it’s maybe not understood so much as being open to deeper interpretation. (which you’ll never guess; I love to do) ;)

Here are my sleepy thoughts on it…

Everyone looks good, acts good at a party, at church. We are on our best behavior on a first date, but how are we a few years into marriage? I don’t believe good times are something to be ignored; we should really be striving to enjoy ourselves and others. We can get an amazing energy from friends which can bring out the good in us. I have been at many functions where the liveliness of the party can ignite a personality. It’s good!

However, I have also had first-hand experience (as I am sure you have) where the fair-weather friends can show you what hollow, lifeless ugliness looks like.

The word Dimension comes to mind. Some people disappear when they turn sideways and walk away from your explosion. I have had situations where I exhaled and they turn to dust right in front of me. The mirage is pretty disappointing, needless to say. I have had some extremely dark tunneling I have had to do where the only light at the end was a beam coming from a friend’s spirit because the destiny was pretty grim. When the dust settles and the time for action is staring at you, you kind of hope for at least a subtlety in illumination. I can count the number of those people on one hand who lit my path. I have many since then ;) but it was pretty bleak during my war!

I believe when we present ourselves to other people, it’s more vital to show a light to those who need it. My whole life I have felt like an underdog, the person who couldn’t quite get there. I’ve worked hard but I absolutely would not be well today if it were not for those who lit my way or in the very least (which I hate to say least, because an ounce is important) just simply made me believe in a different kind of beauty. I try to find those people now in the hopes of putting all the candles together. But as it turns out, the wicks just find each other. It feels like a vigil now, but I think it’s a positive one. We seem to all be remembering the dark times, finding the lessons and I am so happy to see people lighting up the lives of others.

I’m either sleepy or emotional, but this teary girl’s off to bed.

Love you all!
Karen :)

I like this one too;

"A bird doesn’t sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~Maya Angelou

No comments:

Post a Comment