11/14/10

10 Things I've Learned from My Dog

Written blog is the 'condensed' version of the Video; ;)


Has your pet taught you more than you have taught them? Here’s a great article I read today;

Ten Things I've Learned from My Dog;

~Let Your Loved Ones Know You Love Them

When we're hanging out, or driving in the car, my dog loves to check out the scenery. Play with Dino or Monkey (her favorite toys) sometimes play tug of war with me, stick her head out the window, run around like the puppy she is. But then every now and again she'll pass by me and stop and lick my elbow, knee, tummy, or ankle. Basically the first body part she sees, whether the skin is exposed or not. Doesn't matter. She just gives me a lick and moves on.
(Dogs are totally uninhibited in their affection, and I wish I could be more like that.)

~There is adventure all around you.
My dog can turn a backyard into a wonderland amusement park. There are things to chase, smells to track, there's a compost pile that basically acts as a coal pit that needs mining for a diamond.
(No detail of life around a dog goes unnoticed or unappreciated; upon a dog no detail is wasted. The attempt to appreciate everything around us--and be wildly excited by it--is absolutely transcendent)

~ Don't be afraid to ask for what you want.
Hungry? Let someone know. Have to go the bathroom? Rock it. Want attention? Butt people in the leg until they pet you into a love-loves coma. Dogs make it obvious their wishes and wants, and they make it increasingly more obvious until their desires are satisfied. Not that they are totally bull headed or stubborn about it--they submit to the leader, who essentially decides if they will be fulfilled or not.
(Humans have to be the puppy and the dog owner both; we experience the desires and decide how to fulfill them. As much as we need to balance our desires, we also need to be more vocal about what we need in our everyday life)

~Always be curious.
Lucy loves to climb the counters and eat anything she can get her nose into. Now, this means she's eaten raisins and mouse poison, but she's also gotten her fair share of treats and goodies on the sly.
(Dogs know to try everything; it might land you in the hospital, it might get you a treat, but taking chances is always worth the risk)

~Enjoy the simple things
My father's dog literally runs in a happy circle every time she defecates. Lucy sleeps and relaxes with happy abandon. Eating a meal is a highlight of the day, and a walk in the park is just as good as it gets.
(Dogs really know how to appreciate the most basic things in our lives)

~Trust your instincts
Bella--my father’s dog--can hear the door open (it chimes) and then she tenses up, and starts barking until one of the humans recognizes the entering person. And despite being a puppy, she has a biiiig bark. Lucy starts to growl any time someone she doesn't know comes too close to the car when we're inside it.
(Dogs blend their instincts with social cues and act based on those two things alone. It may not be polite, it may not be correct, but they think of who and what they love above all else. Trusting your instincts is something everyone needs to do)

~Trust your loved ones.
Dogs have an innate and infinite trust in their owners; once a bond develops between a dog and another person, it is forever and takes a lot to break.
(So once you choose someone, a loved one, a friend, once you put your trust in them, let it be infinite)

~Greet people like you haven't seen them in a million years.
Dogs do not pull punches. They feel something and they let it show. So whenever my dog sees me, she flips out and starts wagging so hard she shakes, and licking everything she can get her tongue on.
(It makes me feel so loved, so appreciated. I'm trying to greet people like that, with genuine excitement, and real love. You'd be amazed at the response you get)

~Assume that everyone adores you.
This sounds conceited, but it's essentially the recipe for confidence. Assume that no one is immune to your cuteness and your charm overcomes all obstacles, and people will begin to believe you.

~Spend as much time as you can with the ones you love.
Let’s be honest, dogs like to be in the center of the action--and at least mine likes to be the center of attention. But she's happy as long as she's with her family--nothing is more important to her.
(Maybe we all need to reprioritize like a dog does)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I thought I’d include our pets in the life lessons we receive. The pets I have had in my life taught me to stop and smell the flowers. I hate when I see pet owners pull their dogs on their entire walk. What’s the point of having a pet if you can’t enjoy time with them?

Wondering who the next critter will be to show me something in life,
Karen :)

“I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.” ~Winston Churchill

No comments:

Post a Comment