9/17/09

Clarity Affords Focus

I was lying in bed this morning thinking about how I have been lying in bed for 10 minutes after waking up for a while now. I think it’s a good thinking time. I started doing it in exchange for the night time thinking. I basically told myself that I wasn’t allowed to think about anything while going to sleep and promised to take care of my thinking upon waking up. I had to trick myself! It’s been good. (Sleep being sacred and all.)

My uncle told me one time that he spends ten minutes at night writing down what he wants to do the next day so that it isn’t on his mind when his head hits the pillow. I think that is helpful too when I think to do it!

Time management has been one of the largest topics on my mind for a long time now. As soon as I recognized that you can’t actually add more hours to your day (without feeling like crap) I thought it would be better to assess what I am doing in the hours of my day and see what can be trimmed back and what should have more of my time. This is especially important the older we get because for me, my body can’t handle an all-nighter anymore!

I’ve mentioned in the past how much time I have wasted in my past trying to get the perfect relationship in order. I think if I was even remotely wise enough to dispense advice, I would tell others to spend way less time on solidifying a romance and more time on personal growth. I don’t want to confuse this with spending time on an existing relationship that needs nurturing or repairing, but I think there is something to be said about strengthening our character being helpful in reinforcing a rapport with not just the significant other in our life, but in business connections as well. It stands to reason when we have things in order primarily with our own self, we can contribute to a dynamic relationship with others. But geeze, how do we do this whole personal growth thing without going to a hotel airport weekend seminar?

I’ve heard this topic shared in many circles and it generally floats around money and monetarily becoming something or somebody who is financially successful before pressing forward in anything romantic. I’m not sure this is a bad thing to be self-sufficient first before relying on others, although my Gramma and Grampa had a dollar when they got married and they were married 55 very happy years. I do however believe that getting our own life in order shouldn’t be necessarily about being financially set.

While lying in bed this morning, I was thinking about a few areas in my life that if I focused some more time on them now, would greatly assist me in my personal growth. The word that kept springing to mind was, "Organization."

There is something to be said about "cluttered space clutters a cluttered mind"(kind of like how cluttered that phrase is). I find it difficult to give 100% attention to anything when I have too much disorder around me. It would seem that this word is given too much credit when it could be argued that other things in life are more important, but I don’t mean to give this the #1 spot in terms of importance, rather I am giving it the #3 spot as to where I put it on my to-do list. For me, it’s #1.Spiritual #2.Sleep/Health #3. Organization

Oh believe me it’s not as stiff as I make it out to be. It’s more what I tell myself than what I actually implement. LOL! But my days seem to go better when I have a wee chat with my creator, then get up from my rest and go out into the hills and then come back and do SOMETHING towards getting myself organized.I think what my three steps are doing is not making me this perfect character but they are provided a really helpful thing and that is CLARITY. I think between the carbon-filled air we breathe and the stressful work and home environments we are living in, if we can somehow start the day with this clarity then we have the full capability to tackle these other things that can assist in bettering ourselves so we are more useful to the people around us. I know many people who tend to put others first because they were raised with this mentality and believe me, I would take a bullet for just about anyone, but I am just suggesting that we can really give a lot when we are stronger ourselves.

And now, I am going to clear off one of my computers ‘cause it’s just disgustingly gross and making my head spin!

ROCK ON!
Karen :)

"Clarity affords focus."~Thomas Leonard

No comments:

Post a Comment