9/17/09

My Alternate Reality

As I was taking some packages into the post office this morning, I overheard a conversation an older gentleman was having with a man who was opening the door for everyone. It turned out the man holding the door was doing it for some change. He was just trying to make some extra money. I applauded not only his effort to get out of bed early to do this, but the obvious independence he had.

I heard one of the phrases out of the older man’s mouth who said, "Well you gotta take the bull by the horns and get control of it." The man holding the door responded, "Well I just can’t go back to jail, this is it for me…I’m climbing outta hell."

You know, I imagine having a jail record can make things way more difficult for the average person to get back on their feet. I’m sure if you break the recession down, there is enough blame to throw around for everyone. But at the end of the day, everyone is responsible for themselves. My uncle used to use the phrase, "There’s no free lunch." He wasn’t debating whether there should be a free lunch, he was saying there just isn’t one. Sure, we have friends who encourage us, love us, give us hugs, and sometimes even money and opportunity. But overall, we are on our own every minute we get up out of bed. The blame game is easy. We have become so good at affixing a name or several names for why things are awful.

Fine….whatever. Let’s even pretend it’s both scientifically and economically proven who the person or persons are that got us into this mess. I get it. But we can either move on…or die in the rubble. It reminds me of when you watch a movie where some big beam comes swooping down and someone yells, "Look out!" What are you going to do, look first and risk getting hit or just get the action going in order to be saved? I hate when I see people running away from bad guys and they turn to look instead of running. I’m screaming at the movie, "RUN! RUN! RUN!!"

For this man at the post office, he explained that he screwed up, had been to jail and knew he had to work harder than most to land a job. For him, blaming the recession for adding to the heaps of problems he is facing simply isn’t going to buy his next meal. He has had to get up early this morning, stick a comb into his hair and plow out the door REGARDLESS of who is to blame. Is someone going to tell him to wait until the stocks get better to get his life back? No, his time was barking at him at the exact moment his stomach started growling. He has my deepest respects.

I personally feel like the best way I can assist with this economy is to take every moment of my day to better what I do and help others get better at what they do. I still rather suck at this. It’s a moment to moment journey. Cancelling my cable, not watching the news, reserving my email for positive things,(please send me Puppy and Kitty photos by the way… I freaking LOVE THEM!) getting out for regular walks, drinking more water, eating better, cranking loud music, writing, writing, writing, laughing and singing in the shower are all helping. :)

I hope your days are filling up with things that are helping you move forward in a positive way and that you aren’t allowing the negativities (Oh sure, call it reality) bring you down!
I’m creating an alternate reality. ;)

Much love on you!
Karen :)

"In helping others, we shall help ourselves, for whatever good we give out completes the circle and comes back to us." ~Flora Edwards

No comments:

Post a Comment